• rannyshibley

Travelling with Cannabis

Over the last few years, many customers are unsure about some of the rules around travelling with Cannabis and we are here to help you better understand the laws.

The Cannabis Act was rolled out by the Canadian Government on October 17, 2018 and contains rules and regulations on the sale of Cannabis, where stores can be located, how retailers must operate, and who is allowed to sell Cannabis.

The Government of Canada allows provinces and territories to set added restrictions around possession limits, minimum age of purchase, where Cannabis can be used, and home cultivation.

In Alberta, here's the basic guidelines

Legal Age: 18

Where you can purchase: Private Stores or Online through the AGLC

Public Possession Limit: 30 grams of dried cannabis or equivalent

Home Cultivation: 4 plants

Visiting from out of Country

Many American consumers visit us and have the same question. "I don't have a medical license. Can I still buy from you?". Green Rock Cannabis is a government approved Recreational store, meaning we do not sell medical cannabis. That being said, you are welcome to visit us and purchase up to 30 grams of dried cannabis or equivalent in one visit. If you appear to be under 30 years of age, we will ask for government-issued photo ID.

Travelling by Air

While many of us are not currently travelling, if you do need to travel within Canada, you are legally allowed to carry 30 grams of dried cannabis or equivalent. CannaisseurCarrie's tip is to travel with this on your person, disclose the Cannabis and/or accessories when you go through security and always make sure your product is in the government-approved containers, including the Excise Stamp (stating duty paid from the province of purchase). Airport security is trained on the rules and requirements.

NEVER travel with Cannabis when leaving the country. While Cannabis may be legal in other countries, you are not allowed to carry Cannabis over the border.

Safe Storage while transporting

Cannabis should always be kept in your trunk while transporting Cannabis, the same rules as transporting Alcohol. Never travel with open cannabis in your vehicle. Again, make sure your product is in the government-approved containers, including the Excise Stamp

(stating duty paid from the province of purchase).

Calculating the Dried Cannabis Equivalent

When dealing with edibles, beverages, oils, and other non-dried cannabis products, it can sometimes be confusing about how much cannabis is actually in the product. Health Canada regulates Cannabis Equivalent for Licensed Producers and our staff can help explain what the equivalent of dried cannabis is for any products we sell. Some single can beverages have a dried cannabis equivalent of 5.1 grams of dried flower in one can so it's always good to ask to make sure you are abiding by provincial and federal regulations.

For more information about the rules and regulations about the province you reside in, visit the Government of Canada's website.

14 views0 comments

Recent Posts

See All
  • Facebook
  • Instagram

© 2021 Green Rock Cannabis. All rights reserved.